Let us first describe "On-page SEO"
On-page SEO is the process a website owner, or an seo company, would use to optimize a specific page's content for better page ranking using key factors and seo basic guidelines to achieve high page ranking. At Amorca Computer and Web Solutions, we have developed our own 'Amorca SEO Cookbook" which list all important ingredient that we need to use to achieve a good end product. Whenever we work on a client's website, we pull up our SEO Cookbook and make sure that we follow the ingredient list faithfully allowing us to be consistent and cover every aspect of on-page SEO.
The below list of our process might seem lengthy but had has served us for many years and we continue to update our SEO cookbook to follow new seo guidelines and seo algorithm that search engines like Google, Bing and yahoo might throw at us.
But before we delve into our SEO cookbook, we just like to mention that when we design a client's website, we first plan the website using Xmind, then we will design it on our local server and once we are done, we review the site design and structure including on-page SEO and once we and the client are satisfied, we upload the site to the client's hosting server.
Enjoy our SEO cookbook with its trusted ingredients for a better On-page SEO
- Domain name - How important is it to use keywords in a domain name? Using a keyword laden domain name used to be paramount if you wanted to rank higher and beat your your competitors but today, we strongly believe that it is better to incorporate a unique brand name or your business name than using keyword within a domain name. Remember, you should try branding your company especially if the brand name you are thinking of using is short and catchy. So, if you are starting from scratch, we recommend using a brand instead of keyword in your domain name and if you apply other seo guidelines in your seo campaign with good copy writing and fresh content, don't be surprised if your site ends up beating your competitor who has keywords in the domain name.
- Site esthetics - Esthetically pleasing website is good for your business and visitors but only if you don't over do it. Remember the old saying "less is more", well, you can still apply the 'less is more' motto and still have an attractive website. The old flash designed websites were very attractive but did not really help with search engine optimization, therefore, professional web designers with seo in mind stay away from flash. So if you want your seo campaign to succeed with a long term search engine ranking, design an esthetically pleasing website while still staying away from un-necessary bells and whistles.
- Site structure - Site structure is a very important part of your website design, therefore, make sure that you first plan your website on your local machine using one of many available tools such as our preferred tool like Xmind, a professional mapping software that will allow you to plan and structure your site.
- Site usability - Is it easy for your visitor to navigate throughout your site and find what they are looking for? you want to make it easy for your customers to find the product they came to your site for and are they able to go from one page to another and back to the home page with one single click?. You have to make the site usability an extremely important part of your web design if you don't want the person that just landed on your site to leave right after they came in and go to your competitors website.
- Site readability - We have seen a lot of website designed by so called professional web design firms with too many different colors and inconsistencies making it very difficult to read the page content. The best color to use for text and background is black text over white background for it is easy on the eyes and very pleasing. Again, employ the 'less is more' motto and you will be safe.
- Site crawling - You not only have to make it easy for your visitors to navigate throughout your website, you also have to think about search bots and make sure they are able to crawl your site and get to the pages you want them to index.
- Robot.txt - Optimize your Robot.txt to help search engines bots navigate your website and to kindly ask them not to index specific pages(s) or directory. It is still not a guarantee that they will all obey your request but still, it is recommended that you create a good Robot.txt file within your website root directory. If you realy don't want a bot to access a directory, just password protect that directory and you will be fine.
- .htaccess - Use .htaccess to better control features of the server and securing your site. .htaccess can also be used to redirect pages using 301 redirect. If you are using Wordpress to design your website, we recommend checking Jeff Starr "6.htaccess tricks for better Wordpress SEO & Security" page.
- Site navigation - Again, make it easy for your visitors to navigate throughout your site via the use of your navigational menu and easily find what you they are looking for or you will loose them. Having a great website with great and affordable products to sell won't do you any good if your visitors can't get to they product they came to purchase.
- Page load - Even though with today's fast internet connections available to almost everyone, fast loading page is still paramount to the success of your online store. So avoid un-neccessary pictures and flash and only use images for 'Call to action' and if they serve the purpose of having the visitor click on that image to see the product in detail and helping him/her make the decision of purchasing the item or service.
- Page title - Proper page title for each page using your targeted keyword/key phrase while not making look like your are spamming is also important, therefore, take the time to write a great page title using your keyword/keywords while making sure that it does not exceed 70 characters. Again, try writing your title using keywords and with 'call to action' while still staying within 70 characters maximum. For example, at Amorca Computer and Web Solutions, we have a page titled "Computer repair in Reading PA starting at just $20". Looking at the first part of our page title, you can see that we are using the key phrase "computer repair in Reading PA" because we are targeting the Reading PA area for our computer repair services. The second part of our page title "starting at just $20" is our 'Call to action'. Please note that we do have a computer repair service for just $20 for the Reading, PA area, therefore, we are being truthful with our call to action.
- Meta description tag - Some seo experts will say that the 'meta description tag' is not important anymore and we totaly agree with them but we still recommend to writing a good page description to gain user click-through. Using our "Data Recovery in Reading PA" page as an example, you can see the page description tag as follow "Data recovery in Reading PA starting at just $125. Contact Amorca at 484.220.1888". We are using our "data recovery in Reading PA' keyword/key phrase to offer our data recovery service to target Reading PA area and using "starting at just $125' as the 'Call to action' and included our brand name 'Amorca' with our contact phone number to make it easy for customer to reach us.
- Meta keyword tag - Days are long gone when the "keywords tag" was used for ranking, therefore, we do not recommend using the tag at all. Another good reason not to use the keyword tag is that you do not want to make it easy for your competitor to spy on you and see what keywords you are targeting. We are not saying that your competitors still can't see what keyword/key phrase you are targeting but make it difficult for them by not using the tag.
- H1 - H6 headline - Even though we believe that H1 - H6 headline lost its importance in on-page seo, we still recommend employing targeted keyword/key phrase when writing your H1 - H6 headline. Remember, you are copywriting for your visitors first and not search engines, therefore, make it easy for them to read your page content following a smooth flow.
- Keyword in your content - Targeted keyword/key phrase within your high quality and fresh content is extremely important as long as you don't over use your keyword/key phrase on a page. When writing your content for a specific page, just think of the keyword/key phrase you want to use and just write naturaly while making the content fun to read. We like to stay between 2 or 3 keywords/key phrases per page but you can use a bit more (no more than 5 or 6) if you have a long article like this one.
- Writing content - When writing your page content aimed for your non-techy audience, please make it plain english and avoid using technical terms that only you can understand. If you are going to use acronyms, like "SEO", use 'SEO - Search engine optimization" instead.
- Keyword density - Some migh tell you that you have to have the keyword/key phrase repeated several times throughout the page and recommend to stay within 4% keyword density, we tend not to worry too much about "keyword density" and contrate on good content instead.
- Keyword variation - Using keyword variation is good only if you use no more than 2 keyword variation. Again, content is king, therefore, concentrate on making your content rich while staying within your topic.
- Keyword in your URL - The location of the keyword in your url is also important. When setting up your URLs, it is a good habit to have short urls (if you can) with the keyword closer to the domain like amorca.com/seo.html but if you are using categories within your site structure, you can have something like amorca.com/seo/search-ranking.html. Note that we are using categories within our site and the root keyword (seo) as the category name.
- Keyword - For better SEO - Search engine optimization, write content for each keyword/key phrase you are targeting. On amorca.com, we have a page, using our targeted keywords, listing various computer services such as virus removal, spyware removal, data backup, data recovery, etc and then, we created a page for each keyword and inter-linked them together.
- Bolding and Italizing Keywords - Do not over bold your keywords/key phrases. We recomend that you only bold your keyword once or twice and then possibly italize the rest if you want to.
- Hyphens vs Underscore in URLs - We recommend the use of the (-) hyphen instead of the (_) underscore when using a two or three keywords within your url. ie: web-design.html is better then web_design.html
- Internal link - You might not be able to control 'external links' to your site but you can control links from one page to another page from within your website. When creating the link from one page to another, use the same keyword in your link as the one you are linking to. For example, on our SEO page, we have a 'Search Engine Optimization' page and when you click on the link, it will take you to the corresponding page with the same page title.
- Alt attribute within your image - First, if you are going to use an image within a page, we recommend the following: name your image using keyword (ie: blue-widget, or just blue widget), optimize your picture for faster page load, describe the image using the "Alt attribute" (ie: blue widget, or computer virus). One image per page should suffice but you can use multiple images on a page but only for "Call to action" like we have on the homepage of amorca.com.
- About us - We see a lot of websites not fully using their "About us" page to brand their business name. For example, on amorca.com, you will see the 'About Amorca' menu name which once clicked on, it will take you to our 'about-amorca.html' page. This has nothing to do with SEO but it is being used for better branding our business, Amorca.
- Link exchange request - When someone contacts you to exchange links (because your site is an authoritative site or highly ranked), ie: a restaurant business, and your theme has no relation to the restaurant business or food, kindly respond to the person requesting a link exchange explaining to him/her that exchanging links will not help their site rank because both websites are into 2 different niches. But if another site offers you link exchange and are in the same niche as you, check their site first and see what they offer, how their site is designed, is it a legit site and are they an authoritative site?. Ask them as to why they are seeking to exchange links with you. Again, when linking with other websites, only link to sites that are similar to your niche and are an authority in that subject. For example, our Amorca.com has an external link to searchengineland's "How to SEO" and "The Daily SEO Blog" from Seomoz opening in a new browser window. We have selected searchengineland and seomoz because they are 2 great authorities in the SEO field.
Should you be doing "On-page SEO" and for how long?
If you want to get high search ranking with high lead conversions, increase revenues and beat your competitors to the punch, our answer will be a 'YES'. If after reading this article you are still not sure how to proceed, at Amorca Computer and Web Solutions, we can help you optimize your website with our "On-page SEO" cookbook. We invite you to contact us at 484.220.1888 and speak to one of our SEO professional at no charge. If you decide to go ahead with SEO, we offer affordable SEO to everyone. Check our available SEO packages starting at just $190/month.
On-Page-SEO - Let us help your customers get to your site and increase revenue!
Amorca Computer and Web Solutions
44 Arlington Street
Reading PA 19611